Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Song 14: Spending My Time



It's cheating a bit on the concept of 13 songs but this one, `Spending My Time' was left out at the last minute. It is the only song from my top 10 songs of all time that didn't get a run in the original 13 and it's remiss of me not to mention a band that has been significant over the last 15 years.

I have all of Roxette's CD's, from the rare debut Pearls Of Passion (before Look Sharp) to the latest best-ofs, The Ballad Hits and The Pop Hits. I've always liked Roxette's music, from the first time I heard `The Look' and I still think the recent stuff hasn't been too bad although not as consistently good as in the earlier days.

The song `Spending My Time' is a perfect pop ballad, something Roxette managed to achieve several times. I recall reading that Per Gessle was upset that the record company didn't release this one as the second single from Joyride as he believed it would be an enormous hit. He was right. It was the fourth single and did fairly (making the top 15 here) while the clearly inferior `Fading Like A Flower' was a top 10 hit.

``My friends keep telling me: hey, life will go on. Time will make sure I get over you. This silly game of love - you play, you win only to lose. I'm spending my time watching the days go by. Feeling so small, I stare at the wall. Hoping that you will think of me too.''

I could list all the great Roxette songs (mostly slow ones) but the best are: `Love Is All (Shine Your Light On Me)', `(Do You Get) Excited?', `Salvation' and `Listen To Your Heart'.

No comments: