Sunday, June 25, 2006

13 Songs: I Want To Know What Love Is


There are some who regard `I Want To Know What Love Is' as a really bad song. In fact, on VH1 it made the top 10 awesomely bad number ones list.
For me though it's a classic and a compulsory choice for this collection of songs that have affected me.
I remember on a trip to Sydney from university I went to Intencity, when they had those booths that you could record a song in and get a copy on tape. Well, I chose ` I Want To Know What Love Is' and duly butchered it. Fortunately the tape has since gone missing.

``In my life, there's been heartache and pain. I don't know if I can face it again
``Can't stop now, I travelled so far to change this lonely life.
``I want to know what love is, I want you to show me.
``I want to feel what love is, I know you can show me.''

Yeah, yeah, it's soppy, I know. But that doesn't make it any less meaningful from my perspective. If you need to know anything about me it's that I'm a sucker for soppy-ness. And I really want to know what love is. Foreigner produced several other great songs including `I Don't Want To Live Without You' and Lou Gramm's solo song `Just Between You And Me'.

No comments: