Monday, June 19, 2006

The big C

Ok, so last week I eluded to this week (19th-24th June) being an important week. Well, not that you'd know it but it's awareness week for the Crohn's and Colitis association of Australia.
When I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease about 14 months ago I really didn't know what it was. I'd heard the name once or twice but paid little attention. I find that to be most people's experience.
Now, I'm intimately aware of what it is and how it can affect you. As it is awareness week I'd really like to do my bit to raise awareness about these conditions and I'm trying to work something out with the paper (Telegraph) to run some kind of story. I don't really want to be a spokesman or poster boy but I guess if I have to do it myself I will.
I'm not going to go into the details about the condition here, if you want to know more check out http://www.acca.net.au or do a web search.
About this time last year I was convinced I had no future. I was struggling health-wise and my spiritual life took a battering. I've just been reading back through my sporadically updated diary and I realise that I've come a long way. Even though people would say I'd get through it, including my doctor, it was difficult to see. It was a very alienating experience and all I could see was what I had lost.
Obviously I'm still here and I have got through the difficult period and while I'm still in some ways counting the cost of what has happened my outlook has improved. I have to say that God did give me strength when I didn't think I possessed it.
I don't know when, if at all, it will recur (such is the nature of chronic conditions) and I'm not sure if I'll be prepared. I don't know if you can be prepared - it's like waiting for rain when the forecase is chance of a shower.
One thing has has struck me in the last week, though, was an interview on the Biography Channel with Olympic diver Greg Louganis. As you may know, he was diagnosed with HIV some 20 years ago. Anyway, one thing he said struck a chord with me.
He said some people make HIV their career, whereas he's worked hard to incorporate what has happened into his lifestyle. I guess that's what I'm aiming for, I don't want to make the condition the defining part of me, I just want to learn to live with it since I know that is possible.
I'm not there yet. But I think I'm somewhere on that road.

1 comment:

Craig Schwarze said...

You're doing good mate...