Monday, June 05, 2006

Coping with anxiety

Anxiety is something that isn't often discussed in mainstream media so it was great to read about it in Southern Cross's June edition. To check it out go to http://www.sydneyanglicans.net
Personally, I have battled with anxiety a bit in the last year or so. It's a strange thing because often you don't believe you actually are anxious about anything but are feeling the symptoms. I may well be wrong but I relate anxiety a bit to phobias in that it is an irrational fear. That at least is what my experience is. I know in my mind that there is nothing to worry about or that nothing is wrong with me but I get scared that because I feel something strange it means bad things. Maybe this means going to the doctor to ensure the thing you feel in your chest isn't a heart attack coming. Maybe it's just being overly cautious and preventing yourself from enjoying an event.
Anxiety is often misunderstood as well, and supporting someone who is suffering an attack or an episode of anxiety is really important. The last thing I want is to be told to just get over it.

No comments: