Saturday, June 24, 2006

13 Songs: Losing My Religion


I don't know if I exactly understand `Losing My Religion' or at least I didn't when it was released in 1992 (wow was it that long ago?).
What I can say for certain is that it hit me then and it still does. Whenever I listen to it I feel nostalgic, as though it reminds me of a past hurt.

``Life is bigger it's bigger than you and you are not me.
``The lengths that I will go to the distance in your eyes
``Oh no I've said too much I set it up. That's me in the corner that's me in the spotlight
``Losing my religion trying to keep up with you and I don't know if I can do it
``Oh no I've said too much I haven't said enough. I thought that I heard you laughing
``I thought that I heard you sing. I think I thought I saw you try.''

R.E.M. are an interesting band and will never be accused of bowing to popular culture. I also love their song `Everybody Hurts' and for some reason I really like `Orange Crush'. `Shiny Happy People' is fun and quite a departure for the band.

While I have said above that it reminds me of past regrets I'm not immune from playing it now when I feel like things are getting on top of me. That isn't a good thing. If there's one thing you need to know....if you hear this song playing from my room there's usually a good reason and that isn't usually a good thing.

1 comment:

Giraffe Pen said...

Ja I like them too.