Tuesday, June 20, 2006

13 Songs: Not Myself



John Mayer would have to be the finest musician/songwriter of his generation. With both his commercial solo albums he has crafted perfect pop tinged with the bittersweet. `Not Myself' is a simple track, just over three minutes, from the Room For Squares CD with words used sparingly but emotively.

`Suppose I said I am on my best behaviour, but there are times I lose my worried mind. Would you want me when I'm not myself, wait it out while I am someone else.''

I loved this song instantly and it remains my favourite John Mayer song. I only wish he had played it at the concert I went to at the Hordern a couple of years ago.

Mayer's second CD, Heavier Things, contained only 10 songs but nine of them were crackers including the similarly bittersweet `Wheel'. His first release, an EP called Inside Wants Out contained probably his next best song `Comfortable' which hasn't really been commercially seen except on a live CD.

No comments: