Saturday, June 24, 2006

13 Songs: Crash And Burn




A word like anthem springs to mind when I think about and listen to `Crash And Burn'. This is one song I will never get sick of. (Just to digress slightly, it's a very big shame Savage Garden split after two albums. However, Darren Hayes picked up where they left off with his solo CDs, particularly The Tension And The Spark which, had it been a Savage Garden album would have been enormous.

I recall hearing Darren talk about this song and what it means. Basically he said it's a song about communication, about being open and letting other people in. He's also said it had been regarded in the USA as something of an anti-suicide song, saying pick up a phone and call someone, that whatever the problem is it won't seem as bad in the morning.

``When you feel all alone and a loyal friend is hard to find. You're caught in a one way street with the monsters in your head. When hopes and dreams are far away andyou feel like you can't face the day. Let me be the one you call, if you jump I'll break your fall. Lift you up and fly away with you into the night. If you need to fall apart I can mend a broken heart. If you need to crash then crash and burn you're not alone.''

Another thing Darren Hayes has said about this song is that he counts his friends by those he can call at 3am when his life is falling apart. What a great thing that is. I hope the people I care about know they can call me any time when life is tough, and even though I may not be able to offer tangible help I'll always listen. Sometimes that's enough.

Other Savage Garden songs of significance are `Affirmation', `To The Moon And Back', `I Don't Know You Any More' and Hayes' solo efforts `Darkness', `Light', `Unlovable' (but for different reasons) and `So Beautiful'.

No comments: