Friday, June 23, 2006

13 Songs: What About Me


I was eight years old when `What About Me' came out in 1983 - I loved it then and I still love it now. I guess I always felt like the `little boy standing at the counter of the corner shop'.
Of course this classic has recently been covered by Shannon Noll and while it's not a patch on the original it's still a great song.

``And now I'm standing on the corner, all the world's gone home. Nobody's changed, nobody's been saved. And I'm feeling cold and alone. I guess I'm lucky, I smile a lot. But sometimes I wish for more than I've got...''

What makes the original the better version (and, really which cover version of any song betters the original? There may be the odd exception but there always is) is that it comes across as more genuinely emotive than the remake. As much as I liked hearing Shannon Noll's version the last couple of years it does sound a bit karaoke when you compare to Moving Pictures.
Another point of interest, Moving Pictures was a precursor to the band 1927 which I have mentioned previously.

No comments: