Wednesday, June 21, 2006

13 Songs: Walk On



It was always going to be a matter of which U2 song do I love the most. In the end it has to be `Walk On', particularly when you consider Bono chose to end the Elevation tour with this song and, to my mind, with good reason.

The first time I heard Walk On, with its emotive lyric and the message of perseverence, I thought it was an instant classic. `And if the darkness is to keep us apart, and if the daylight feels like it's a long way off, and if your glass heart should crack and for a second you turn back. Oh no, be strong.''

The All That You Can't Leave Behind CD was a return to best form for U2, proving that even though they're more than 20 years old as a band, and even though they experimented, they knew returning to their roots would bring about renewed success. Not that they needed to but we're all glad, I'm sure, that they did.

As with most U2 songs there's a religious aspect to consider and Walk On is no different. Close runners-up in consideration for this list include `With Or Without You' and `I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'.

2 comments:

Craig Schwarze said...

With you 100% Ray. That song got me through a very tough time...

Andrew said...

yep, one of their most powerful ones. A tribute to Aung San Suu Kyi (imprisoned democracy leader in Burma), but like all great songs it takes on such a wider story. Love the live version from their Elevation DVD where they wrap up the concert with this song, including the "Hallelujah" chorus w 50000 fans. shivers down the spine every time