Saturday, June 24, 2006

13 Songs: Hero



`Hero' got me through a very tough year 12 at high school, when a lot of things changed as far as relationships and outlook on life was concerned. It's also around then when I started to notice Mariah Carey's music and, as many would know, began what I see as a healthy obsession.

Hero is her signature song, an uplifting ode to self-belief and finding inner strength.

``There's a hero if you look inside your heart. You don't have to be afraid of what you are. There's an answer if you reach into your soul, and the sorrow that you know will melt away. And then a hero comes along with the strength to carry on, and you cast your fears aside and you know you can survive. So when you feel like hope is gone, look inside you and be strong and you'll finally see the truth that a hero lies in you.''

The entire Music Box album is flawless (I know plenty who would disagree but this is my blog) particularly the title track. Other Carey songs of note to me include `Close My Eyes', `Through The Rain', `Make It Happen', `My Saving Grace' and the recent #1 `We Belong Together'.

I saw Mariah in concert in 1998 on her Butterfly tour and she ended the concert, third song of the encore, with Hero and it brought the house down. I recall standing, with my hand on my heart, and singing as loud as possible. It brought a tear to the eye and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

No comments: