Sunday, June 25, 2006

13 Songs: I'll Be There For You



For 10 great years, at 7.30pm on Mondays, the world stopped for 30 minutes for (arguably) the best sitcom of them all.
I first became aware of Friends back in 1995 just prior to my highly anticipated trip to the USA. It was there, in fact in Ensenada, Mexico, that I saw my very first episode of the TV that would dominate my life for a decade. And it was all worth it.
(Incidentally, the first episode I saw was called `The One With Phoebe's Husband', episode 4 of season 2).
The theme song, `I'll Be There For You' performed by The Rembrandts, totally sums up the show. And in my view, friendship in general.

``No one could ever know me, no one could ever see me. Seems you're the only one who knows, what it's like to be me. Someone to face the day with, make it through all the rest with. Someone I'll always laugh with, even at my worst I'm best with you, yeah.''
You all know the chorus!

The great thing about DVD is that I'll always be able to watch my favourite episodes whenever I want. I'm glad the show has ended. I would have hated to see it go out on a low point but they avoided that even though at around season 7 I kind of wanted it to finish.
But, they way they finished the series leads you to believe they would always be friends. And that's the way it should be.

(To finish: tell me you're surprised this one has made it into my most significant songs!)

No comments: