Monday, June 12, 2006

The Break-Up

After reading a positive review I took myself off yesterday to see the film `The Break-Up', starring Vince Vaughan and Jennifer Aniston.
I'm not really sure what I expected. I knew it wasn't going to be a romantic comedy but some kind of comedy at least. It almost bordered on a tragedy. Watching the couple, Gary and Brooke, disintegrate on screen is a shade un-unerving. I certainly wouldn't recommend this as a date movie or as a movie to see if your relationship is on shaky ground.
They both refuse to move out of their condo with Gary claiming the living room as his own, even going as far as buying the pool table Brooke didn't let him buy when they moved in because the place was too small. She then goes on dates with other guys hoping that Gary will be jealous and realise what he was losing. One of the dates turns out to like Gary's computer games more than Brooke, it seems.
Without giving too much away I was a little perplexed by the ending. On one hand it wasn't your typical Hollywood ending but on the other I'm not sure I have closure. Giving this a 7/10, it was good, very funny in parts particularly early, but just not outstanding.

No comments: