Sunday, June 25, 2006

13 Songs: If You Could Only See



Some may be surprised that `If You Could Only See' would be a significant song but it represents a big period of change, some really good some bad.

I came across this song in 1997 when I had finished university and taken up my first job in the Narromine and Dubbo area. I instantly was caught up in the lyrics and the overall sound and I played it to close to death when I tracked down Tonic's Lemon Parade CD.

``Seems the road less travelled shows happiness unravelled. And you got to take a little dirt to keep what you love. That's what you gotta do, yeah. Sayin' you love but you don't, you give your love but you won't. You're stretchin' out your arms to something that's just not there. Sayin' you love where you stand give your heart when you can. If you could only see the way she loves me, then maybe you would understand, why I feel this way about our love and what I must do....''

Aside from being a really great song every time I hear it (and I still listen to it quite a bit) it reminds me of my time in Narromine and Dubbo. I enjoyed living out there but a lot of things happened during that time. I met a lot of great people, I guess you'd say people I didn't think I'd be friends with, and through the independence of having a job was exposed to many things I hadn't come across before. Other songs that remind me of that time are Five's `When The Lights Go Out', Jennifer Paige's `Crush' and Ace Of Base's `Cruel Summer'.

1 comment:

Rossy said...

I must say Ray, not a bad choice... Lemon Parade is a great album and was in my walkman a fair bit while backpacking round Europe.