Friday, June 02, 2006

My thoughts on gambling


I've been asked my position on gambling a few times and I don't have an issue with it to a point. As I work in that industry, technically, and am a Christian it would be easy to make a case for conflict there.
Bascially, it's all about how you spend your money.
I have an amount I spend each week on gambling, only on horse racing not poker machines, and fortunately I win more often than not. (Some of you may not be surprised by that statement, but I think I'm good at my job). However, I'm certainly not in a position to retire.
For me the interest is horse racing and having a few dollars on the horses I like doesn't pose any issue for me. I still give to my church, to missionaries and am involved in Christian life etc. The gambling is a hobby, horse racing is a passion. Some of you may know that every year I have a month where I don't bet at all.
There were no more exciting days for me than last year's Melbourne Cup. Even though I don't think it is the greatest race we have in Australia it was special in 2005 because we saw something that no horse will ever do again, and that's win 3 Cups.
That's an aside. If gambling reaches a point where it's more than a hobby, more than you can afford, that's where it is wrong. Some people spend their leisure money going on hikes, bike riding, movies (that I'm also guilty of), alcohol and clubbing, you get my point.
It would be wrong to assume on face value that if someone does gamble that they are a horrible sinner.
That's judging and is not for us to do.

2 comments:

Craig Schwarze said...

Cheers Ray, as you would know from the other thread, I respect your freedom in this. I believe that most of those involved are passionate about the industry, rather than being motivated by greed.

You say you win more often than not - I guess that shouldn't surprise if you are a racing writer! Do you think you come out ahead at the end of the year, break even, or make a loss?

Ray said...

When I say I win it's usually only around 50% to double what I invest which isn't an awful lot. Over a year I'd say I'm in front but as I said I'm far from retiring.