Saturday, June 24, 2006

13 Songs: Great Southern Land



Doesn't this absolute classic just give you chills? Songs like `Great Southern Land' don't come along often but somehow you just feel Australia in the sound and the words.

``Standing at the limit of an endless ocean, stranded like a runaway, lost at sea. City on a rainy day down in the harbour watching as the grey clouds shadow the bay. Looking everywhere 'cause I had to find you, this is not the way that i remember it here. Anyone will tell you its a prisoner island, hidden in the summer for a million years. Great Southern Land.''

Icehouse have always been great and I believe may be about to reform for a series of concerts. This song would be compulsory. My other favourite is `Crazy' from the Man Of Colours CD, come to think of it most of that CD was awesome.

Back at New Year's Eve 1999/2000 I was fortunate enough to score tickets to the Opera House party and Iva Davies performed a 20 minute orchestral version of Great Southern Land that just had to be heard to be fully captured. It kept true to the song but lifted it to another level.

Also, yesterday this song was voted the best rock song of the 1980's on radio Triple M. Good choice.

2 comments:

Craig Schwarze said...

Great, great song. I used to love the "Man of Colours" album...

Ray said...

I can't believe, considering all the music I have at home, that I still don't have this song. That's gotta change I tells ya.