Friday, June 23, 2006

13 Songs: The Other Side



Aussie band 1927 are best known for their ...ish album of the late 80s but it was their second CD that contained their most significant song, for me anyway.

`The Other Side' is a heartfelt song of love lost and realising that you're looking at that person from a different perspective and that relationship is gone.

``You were the girl, the girl that no-one ever really knew. I was the one. The one I thought you cared about. I thought it was the only love that ever existed. Maybe I'm only dreaming about tyou. You never ever really cared....Now I'm standing on the other side, the other side from you. Why'd you ever go and leave me all alone feeling blue.''

This song is significant because when I was in high school I had a friend (I guess we're still friends now but haven't seen each other for about four years) who told me about a relationship he had and that this song reminded him of it. I always remembered that and he is in part responsible for me making big changes throughout my mid-teens.

1927 only released three CDs and had two line-up changes in that time. I saw them a couple of times live in Sydney around 2001 and were still great. The third CD was probably the weaker of their three but still contained a couple of great tracks like `It Ain't Love' and `Scars'. Aside from this song my other favourite 1927 tracks are `A Day Like Today', `That's When I Think Of You' and `Compulsory Hero'.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

aye aye aye Raymondo - confession is good for the soul (or so I'm told) but this is like torture! Thank God for the U2 entrance into the Hickson Billboard. Now when is that Metallica tune making an appearance...

;)

Ray said...

I'll pick things up tomorrow when I don't have as much work to do. Still to decide on the Metallica one....