Friday, August 18, 2006

United 93

Let me start by saying I think this is compulsory viewing.
Based on the events of United flight 93 on September 11, 2001, this film is a documentary style retelling of the doomed flight's journey and that of the passengers, all of whom perished in the eventual crash.
There are no stars in the film, which I think is excellent because when there is a well-known actor in a movie your attention is often directed at them.
We start by seeing a pair of men preparing of their journey and they are obviously planning to cause trouble. I'll leave that to your imagination as I'm sure you know what I mean.
We watch the passengers board and get little glimpses into their lives and those of the flight attendants and pilots.
The other centres of focus are the flight monitoring stations in several american cities including one in New York with what can only be described as a spectacular view of the skyline and one that would come in very handy with what was about to unfold.
It's strange watching a movie that you already know the ending of. But United 93 loses nothing in that department.
Admittedly for a while I was wondering where they were going with the storyline but once the flight monitors start tracking American flight 11 things get interesting. From then on you can't look away.
It's very unsettling watching the attack on the World Trade Centre again. Everyone remembers where they were at the time. The WTC is not the focus of this story but it's impact is felt throughout the movie, obviously.
I can't recommend United 93 enough. It's riveting, unsettling, emotional and thought provoking. For me, it certainly put life into a bit of perspective.
Don't miss it. An 8.5 out of 10.
(By the way, apologies to Craig, it was a last minute decision last night to go.)

1 comment:

Dominic said...

Dear Ray, Cathie and I saw it as well. It was worth seeing! Cheers, D