Monday, August 07, 2006

New Music

It's been a while between purchases for me as far as CDs go but on the weekend I bought two.
The first one is the latest by the Goo Goo Dolls called `Let Love In'. I must admit I didn't know this one existed but I happened to be looking in the rock/pop section and happened upon it. It's not like me to not know of the latest release from one of my favourite bands.
Anyone, this brief review is based on one listen. And on that one listen I definitely like it. The one thing missing is a headline song. The last CD `Gutterflower' had the awesome Here Is Gone; the previous `Dizzy Up The Girl' had both Iris and Slide; while `A Boy Named Goo' had Name, Long Way Down and Naked as standouts.
Having said all that it's still a typical Goo Goo Dolls album and is highly likeable. There's an interesting cover of `Give A Little Bit' which I believe was originally performed by Supertramp. They do a good job but very few covers are better than the original.
(While on the Goo Goo Dolls and covers, I am horrified that Ronan Keating has released a version of Iris. The classic ballad from the film City Of Angels is almost lifeless in the usually competent hands of Keating. Nothing of the emotion of John Rzeznik is left.)

The other purchase was the latest Diesel CD `Coathanger Antennae'. I must admit I thought Diesel had gone off the boil a bit and as yet I haven't bought his previous album. This new one isn't bad at all. The single Crazytown is excellent and the rest seems to be good. Again this is on first listen. Still, it doesn't reach the heights of earlier albums like Hepfidelity, The Lobbyist (I absolutely love `Brand New Song' from that one) and Solid State Rhyme but as far as good background music or even car music it stacks up fairly well.
The stand-out song for me is the second last song, Waits For Me.

Is it just me or is music not as good as it used to be?

No comments: