Monday, August 21, 2006

Church Music - part 2

OK, so I've been on music for a while now, I'll have to think of something else to write about. But to finish my thoughts on church music, I thought I'd mention a few `secular songs' that I find are offering praise to God and that inspire me.
Again, these won't ever be sung at church but I don't believe they were meant to.

1. Everything - Lifehouse
I've written a few times about this song, but I believe it is this one that offers ultimate praise to God. In the last week I've listened to it at least 20 times in the car, a couple of times on the way to and from church and on other drives. `You are the strength that keeps me walking, you are the hope that keeps me trusting, you are the light into my soul, you are my purpose, you're everything'.
2. My Saving Grace - Mariah Carey
Mariah is an interesting topic because I've seen her talk about her faith in interviews yet she dresses, let's just say, in an unflattering manner and not one befitting a Christian. That said she has a few songs that stand out for their pointing to God. `And the bountiful things that you do Lord thank you, for delivering me and giving me peace, giving me strength, giving me hope when I'd almost lost it all, catching my every fall, I still exist because you keep me safe, always my saving grace pulls me through.' I saw her perform this one on Oprah one day and it brought the house down. It still does for me.
3. Walk On - U2
Probably indirectly in the recorded version but on their last tour, the Elevation tour, they eneded their concerts with this one and an extra chorus of `Hallelujah'. You all know the words.
4. Fly Like A Bird - Mariah Carey.
On the liner notes to her `Emancipation' CD, Mariah quotes Psalm 30:5 `Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning'. This song seems to be talking about longing for heaven. `Fly like a bird, take to the sky, I need you now Lord, carry me high, don't let the world break me tonight, I need the strength of you by my side, sometimes this life can be so cold, I pray you'll come and carry me home.'

No comments: