Sunday, August 27, 2006

Are you ready?

What if Jesus returned tonight? Would you be ready?
In his second hard-hitting sermon in succession, DS poses these questions (and many more) from Luke 12:35-59 and I don't think there was a person in the house who wasn't affected by what he said.
We are told that Jesus will come like a thief in the night, when you least expect it, and that we must be ready now. Who do you have to talk to to get things right, who deserves an apology, is my heart right, is there sin I am hanging onto?
A lot of soul searching happened tonight and, I suspect, will continue to happen in the coming weel.
I feel challenged to make sure I am right with God and that I continue to be. The way I live should be above reproach and it clearly isn't. Now, I'm no saint. Unfortunately we live in the world and can often become `of' the world despite efforts to avoid it. As Homer so eloquently said when he was a missionary charged with building a church but allowed the people to engage in gambling and addiction `You're all terrible sinners'.
OK so that's a bit strong. But it is also true.
Anyway, to digress, we learned that those who are well aware of Jesus but do not act will be treated more harshly than those who do not know Jesus. Does that sound fair?
Actually I think it's very fair. We have fair warning, others prefer ignorance.
The last couple of weeks have been very tough, we've found out that Jesus isn't `cuddly' as DS put it but he is the divider. Which side do you want to be on?

3 comments:

Giraffe Pen said...

Hey Ray, thanks for your encouraging comment in the pub last night :)

Giraffe Pen said...

PS- My apologies to you et. al. for the email I sent at the end of last year saying that no one would want me at Festivus. That was really silly of me.

Ray said...

No worries Hayden. Everyone has one of those moments (sometimes more than one) where they do something foolish. No-on thinks less of you