Friday, July 21, 2006

The story

This is the main text of the feature I was working on this week. I can't post a link to it as it's not up on the Daily Telegraph's website. If you like what you read have a look at today's Tele, because I reckon the layout and look of the story is amazing - if I do say so!


Joe's full of pride - Now with stables next to Cummings and Waterhouse, this is a young trainer going places
By: RAY HICKSON
SOMETIMES you have to take one step backwards to go two steps forward.
Trainer Joseph Pride has moved into his plush new Randwick stables, but with fewer horses than he had on his first day of training five years ago.
It's easy to forget that it was only five years ago that Pride joined the training ranks after four years working for one of the great modern-day trainers, John Size.
As he moves into a new phase by returning to Randwick, Pride revealed he had to make some tough decisions in order to enter the next phase of his career.
In making the move from Warwick Farm, where he was based for 4 1/2 years, Pride,34, has taken a calculated risk in halving his stable size.
``I've only moved in with a dozen because I just want to get a routine into place,'' Pride said this week.``It's going to take a week or two to settle in. The actual move has been a bit difficult, especially having to pack up everything and deciding which horses we'll put in the stable.
``I had between 24 and 28 out at Warwick Farm but that was built up from the start of the season. Cutting the numbers hasn't been an easy thing, but I'm getting better at it.''
A rising star among the Sydney training ranks, Pride is currently seventh on the premiership table with 23 wins, including seven stakes wins, after finishing 17th last season.
While he can't compete with the likes of John Hawkes and Gai Waterhouse on a week-to-week basis, the move to Randwick is all part of a master plan aimed at matching it with them when it counts --in the spring and the autumn.
``At the start of this season my goal was to finish top 10 and to train two city winners a month and I've done that, but I didn't have any plan for how many Group One winners I'd train,'' Pride said.``Reducing my numbers to start with is done with the best intentions for the owners and for the sake of my stable.``Not every horse is going to be profitable, but if after two or three preparations they can't win a midweek race then they probably don't belong in town.``If I want to continue to grow and move to the next level I have to make these decisions.''
It was around this time five years ago the one-time psychology student trained his first winner, a horse called Ireland at Wyong.
Right from day one Pride was a hands-on trainer, just like his mentor. That hasn't changed.
While he was given a head start with horses from Size and prominent owner Bob Ruttley, he's now a Group One trainer in his own right with two headline horses -- Doomben 10,000 and TJ Smith Stakes winner Red Oog and Coolmore Classic winner Regal Cheer.
``Group One races are the pinnacle of our sport and I can only hope to win more, but I am grateful to have horses capable of winning them,'' he said.``I'm not sure that's how trainers should be judged, because there are plenty of good trainers out there who don't get the opportunity with a good horse, but it's fantasticto win them.
``I was fortunate because I started out the right way and I have to thank Bob Ruttley and John Size for that.``I can see now that I was very much in the dark about what to expect when I started.``But I'm a lot wiser now and I hope in five years time I'll be wiser again.``I take my job very seriously and wear my heart on my sleeve.''
Shortly after Red Oog won the TJ Smith this year, Pride was asked whether he ever tired of being known as John Size's protege. He's quick to say no and even quicker to credit the now four-time Hong Kong champion trainer for all he has learned.
``John's an absolute champion trainer and any association with him I'm proud to have,'' Pride said.``I've got so much to thank him for and I'm very fortunate to have worked for him.
``He was never one to talk for the sake of talking.``Whenever he had something to say it always had substance to it.
``My first five years have been exciting.``I'm very grateful for the rewards racing has given me so far.``Not many jobs have such defined moments when you feel gratified for what you've done, like winning a big race.''
Because of his smaller team heading into the new season, Pride stopped short of setting a goal of making the top five in next year's premiership.Some new owners have come on board and eventually the 24 boxes Pride has at Randwick will fill up.
In the meantime, it's up to horses like Regal Cheer and Red Oog to keep the stable's flag flying.
``What I really need to do in the next year is repeat what I've done this year because the success of Regal Cheer and Red Oog has only paid back what myself and partner Kylie have poured into the business,'' he said.
``I'm going to need a bit of luck.``My numbers aren't going to be huge but hopefully the quality will be better.``People have big hearts to spend the money they do on horses.
``It's the dream of getting a good horse that keeps you going.
``Some people die without ever getting a good one so I have been very fortunate. Hopefully we'll train a champion one day.''

2 comments:

Ray said...

I spoke to Joe today at the races and he said he liked the way it turned out. He also complimented me for not misquoting him!

Craig Schwarze said...

Great stuff Ray - you are right to be pleased with it