Sunday, July 16, 2006

Am I ashamed...?

What a great night all round at church!
We had a different preacher to our usual (not that they don't do a great job) and it was refreshing to have someone else's take on the bible.
Of particular interest tonight was the issue of grace. But I was struck down well before Con began talking.
I've already thanked him privately, but what Nathan said in his interview during family news really blew me away. It made me think things like: am I ashamed of being a Christian; do I not take the commitment I have with God seriously; can people notice that I am different or do I mask that under politeness.
A couple of minutes after Nathan finished talking my mobile rang with a call from someone I had spent much of the afternoon at work attempting to get hold of for a comment. Once I told him I was speaking quietly because I was in church he said `what are you doing at church, what are you looking for?'. I'm not proud to say I replied by saying `I don't know'. I immediately went onto the back foot. I don't want to be like that, hiding something that is so important.
(It's probably a good thing that I'm a few chapters into Roaring Lambs at the moment).
But hearing Nathan talk like he did really affected me. We all need wake-up calls, at times we all take things, including God, for granted.
Perhaps I'm a little bit like Will Hunting (back into Con's talk now) and it hasn't really got through properly?
There's probably more to come, as I think about this more.....

No comments: