Tuesday, July 11, 2006

My 1996 USA trip - the soundtrack


When I was a second year Uni student I went on a month's trip to the USA taking in much of western America. It was during this trip that I saw my first episode of `Friends', saw snow for the first time, tried and failed badly at skiing, saw a sitcom being taped and many other things.

It started off in LA and took in Las Vegas, Colorado (particularly Steamboat Springs), the Grand Canyon (awesome) and Mexico. Two weeks were spent in LA where I saw a couple of Ice Hockey games (the Mighty Ducks were playing), went to a dinner theatre (next door to Medieval Times which was featured in the Cable Guy), Magic Mountain, Disneyland (pictured is me with Goofy, I forget which one I am), and a 20 mile bike ride along the beach.

The music that captured my attention and which always reminds me of the great time I had in the States is as follows:

  1. I'll Be There For You-The Rembrandts
  2. Name-Goo Goo Dolls
  3. Breakfast At Tiffany's-Deep Blue Something
  4. (What's The Story) Morning Glory-Oasis
  5. One Of Us-Joan Osbourne
  6. The Voice-Roxette
  7. El Amore Que Sone (Open Arms) -Mariah Carey
  8. Waterfalls-TLC
  9. Down Under-Men At Work
  10. Good Intentions-Toad The Wet Sprocket

According to the diary I kept I saw my first Friends episode on January 25, 1996 in Rosarito, Mexico. Among other things I almost got my ear pierced, saw San Diego Zoo, went on a road trip to San Francisco (love the place) and, also according to my diary saw a woman who looked like Pamela Anderson at the TV show taping. But I doubt it was her.

3 comments:

Ray said...

There's something about Goofy. I had my pic taken with him and Woody Woodpecker as well. That photo may get a run at some stage but I've got moppy hair in it!

Craig Schwarze said...

You look so young and innocent Ray!

The Borg said...

The US rocks don't it?

I visited in 1995, when I was 12. And the Grand Canyon is awesome; it's true that as the cliche goes, pictures don't do it justice.