Saturday, July 22, 2006

CD's revisited: Lifehouse's Stanley Climbfall

We go back only a few years to 2002 for the latest in my series on `classic' CDs to Lifehouse's second album `Stanley Climbfall'.
It's unfortunate that when you have as massive a hit as they did with Hanging By A Moment that the next CD is largely ignored. That was the case with this one even thought the band did tour here briefly with the M-One concert series.
The title track is an intruiging one and is derived from a song which I believe was originally titled `Stand, Climb, Fall' and is one of the better tracks on what is a pretty good follow up to a flawless debut (in my view). Lyrics include: `Quiet, a sound you know so well, you're living just to make it through another day, stand climb and fall, carry the world, you can't carry on your own...And I'm at the end of myself, anything you want, and nothing seems to satisfy me, take anything you want''.
The opening track `Spin' is about the ups and downs of life, the song `Anchor' really surprised me and it's about God being your anchor, what keeps you grounded.
In keeping with the tradition of No Name Face, Lifehouse ends this CD with the best song, called `The Beginning'. It's a simple song but also a complex one. It describes a life journey and looking forward to heaven, I have come to believe.
`Hello from the world below, I'm watching the sun burning, as the load is slowly turning, I know that in letting go, I'm learning how to live, through a life I have to give.'
On one hand it's a shame this CD wasn't a huge commercial success because it deserves to me, but on the other hand I'm priveliged to own it because it's great. Come to think of it, I could say the same about their third CD and I probably have somewhere along the way.

No comments: