Saturday, July 01, 2006

Do I need a saviour?


It's a question I've been thinking about since I saw Superman Returns last night.
At one point in the film Lois Lane says to Superman that the world doesn't need a saviour and neither does she. He takes her on a flight above Metropolis and asks her if she hears anything. She says no.
``I hear everything,'' Superman tells her. ``Every day I hear people crying out to be saved.'' (That is the essence of what he said, I may not have it right word for word).
I'm going to avoid comparing Superman to Jesus, and in many ways that comparison can be easily made. Moreover I'm thinking about the question at hand: do I need a saviour?
Literally, I don't think I need to be saved but I guess it depends on how you define it. I don't think I need someone to come along and save me. Spiritually, I definitely need a saviour. Fortunately I have one, but at times I am guilty of forgetting him. (I was going to say ignoring him but it's not an intentional thing, like everyone I make mistakes but I don't feel I go out with an intention of sinning).
I often wonder what it is that will complete me. Is it a wife and a family? Am I just not letting God in enough/am I holding onto my worldly nature just in case? Do I need to feel loved? Why don't I feel as close to people as others appear to be? Am I alone?
I don't think I've come up with a clear answer but I do have a lot of thinking material.

5 comments:

Brant W. Fowler said...

You know, Ray, I've been thinking about that too. I have always been close to God and was even on the road to preaching, but life kind of took me on a detour. It's still a heartbeat of mine, but I'm kind of sidelined at the moment.

I think we all need that extra something, and many times we think we've found it in other things only to be let down in the long run. I know from my own experiences that nothing will bring me joy like God. Though I do believe family is a strong second. I'm single, and I haven't really had a deeply, lengthy meaningful relationship, but I know that when I do it will complete me to a point. But nothing could ever take the place of God.

Great post, man.

Giraffe Pen said...

The original Spiderman cartoons were written by a Jew (as was X-Men, which is littered with Holocaust survival paralells), so it's not surprising that there are Messianic hints in the story.

Giraffe Pen said...

Sorry, I meant to say Superman instead of Spiderman.

The Borg said...

Hi Ray,

I haven't seen Superman yet, but I hear Lois Lane is, in the common parlance, a "slut". Can you verify this please?

Ray said...

I don't know that Lois has been taken that far. What I can tell you is that since Superman has been gone she's become engaged and a mother. When he returns she resists her feelings but you're left with the impression that she's going to dump the fiance. Does that make her a `slut'?