Sunday, July 09, 2006

Further thoughts on Hillsong

It's been about a week since I purchased the new Hillsong live CD `Mighty To Save' and I think I'm going to stand by what I said earlier about its quality.
There are, in my estimation, three outstanding songs on this CD. The rest don't rise too far above ordinary and not really inspiring. I hate to say this about Christian music but I'm left with no other opinion.
The three great songs - `At The Cross', `From The Inside Out' (though it is a rehash) and `Mighty To Save' move, inspire and uplift me. The rest I just skip past. That's a big shame given there are 14 songs on the CD.
This has been a trend over the last few years with the Hillsong recordings. They take the best songs from the United recording, which is just lazy, manage one or two crackers among original songs then the rest seem like fillers.
The 2005 release had three or four memorable songs, the 2004 CD `For All You've Done' again had about five good songs and the best of them `More Than Life' was taken from the United CD of the same year. Then you go back to `Hope' which had an awesome title track `My Hope' and some solid back-ups. In 2002 it was `Blessed' which I still play quite a bit and includes the title track, `One Desire', `Through It All' and `Made Me Glad'.
Gone are the glory years (so to speak) of `Everyday' and `Shout To The Lord', which is still unparalleled in Christian music in my opinion.
So I've got into a few other artists, most notably Chris Tomlin and Jeremy Camp. Both of whom do great P&W songs and just great general pop-rock. Check them out if you haven't already.
It's time to stop now. You'd think I don't like Hillsong music from much of this. I really do. It's just, like any fan of any musician, there's more potential than product these days. Kind of like the U2 Zooropa/electronic period. It's OK but you know they can do better.

1 comment:

Craig Schwarze said...

I rate "For All You've Done" as their best. I think they "peaked" with that.

Have you heard the Sovereign Grace albums? I really like them...