Monday, July 10, 2006

CD's revisited: Maybe Dolls `Propaganda'


The latest in my `CD's revistited' series takes us back to 1991 and the debut (and only) release by the Australian band Maybe Dolls. `Propaganda' was the name of the CD by Annalisse & Chris Morrow and it was a damn fine one if I do say so.
Maybe Dolls kind of came and went a little unnoticed (well I noticed). I recall seeing them live supporting I think it was Diesel on his Hep Fidelity tour. It was either Diesel or The Badloves. They were pretty much the only artists you could see in Tamworth if you're under 18.
You might recall their major hit `Nervous Kid' but the album, if you looked a bit further, had a few hidden gems.
What prompted me to revisit this CD was when their great ballad `Only Love' played at random on my computer from the wide selection that currently lives there.
Other tracks of note are `Cool Jesus' (which some of you who are around my age might remember), `Real Love' and one of my favourites `Never Look Back'.
Perhaps it's that I'm a sucker for nostalgia or perhaps there's just no really great music around at the moment (with a few exceptions), particularly on the Australian scene with far too many Idol also-rans clogging the market. Bands like Maybe Dolls, good honest soft rock/pop music, don't stand a chance.
I don't know why they only released one album. I did an internet search for the band and it only came up with one site and it was under construction. Perhaps this means there might finally be more from this excellent band. It would be a shame if there wasn't. Although, at least it can be said they never made a bad recording.

1 comment:

Ian Pye said...

I've been listening to this recently and its still good. If you like Maybe Dolls, you should have a listen to The Numbers which is Annalisse and Chris Morrow's earlier band. I'm very pleased to have found their 2 albums on the web recently and have been listening to them as well.