Monday, July 24, 2006

Issues

I had an interesting chat with a new friend last week that raised a few things for me.
First off I wondered whether I think too much and act too little. I've often worked out the worst case scenario for just about anything and worked backwards from there to try and avoid it. Smart, hey!?!
Of all people, I heard some words of wisdom from Brian Houston the other day. He said that bad things happen to everybody. What makes some people different from others was that some let the bad thing rule their life while others seem to adapt and step forward.
I definitely am falling into the former category at this point.
Anyway, the guy I was speaking to said that the way he looks at things was, basically, that he just got down on his knees and asked God to guide him. And he does it any time something gets tough. I think that's the messge (it was several days ago now and I don't remember word for word what he said) that you have to allow God to rule your life.
I found it very encouraging, in fact every time I speak to him I feel encouraged and, to date, only two people in my life have that affect on me. Hopefully that number continues to grow.
Which brings me to another topic. It appears I have trouble connecting with people. I'm hoping my friends out there will let me know their thoughts on this. Do I seem disconnected sometimes when I talking with you?
This came up a couple of weeks ago. I often feel that there is a divide between me and other people, sometimes it seems tangible, and I can't work out whether it is me being defensive sub-consciously.
During the big struggle of last year I felt and thought seriously that there must be something wrong with me because it seemed that I was untouchable, even when it was clear I needed some comfort. I find this has spilled over into the present.
Trying to overcome all of this is part of my attempt to become a `real boy' as it were.
Oh, and the issue with a friend I was concerned about a few days ago has been resolved. I still feel a little bad but I have realised that I wasn't being as good a friend as I should have been. That won't happen again.

2 comments:

Brant W. Fowler said...

I'm gonna come back and comment on this, just wanted to let you know I read it. I'm about to fall over right now though as it's nearly 1am. :)

Craig Schwarze said...

I think your new friend gave you good advice Ray. You just have to take what comes your way and do the best you can with it. If you have your eyes open, there are plenty of opportunities in every adversity.

Disconnected? I don't find you that way, I find you pretty easy to talk to. The way I look at it is that I am who I am. Some people will like that, some wont. The worst thing I have ever done in my life is to pretend to be someone I'm not.