Sunday, November 05, 2006

Melbourne Cup

With just a couple of days until the great race I present my thoughts on who will win, in my opinion.*
Having tipped the last three winners of the Cup (the same horse each year) there is some pressure to make it four in a row. This will no be easy task because I think it is one of the most open Melbourne Cups in many years. I also think there is a good chance an international racehorse will win.
So my tips are:
1. Yeats
2. Delta Blues
24. Efficient
18. Art Success
Yeats is an Irish horse who is rated as a much better racehorse than Media Puzzle and Vintage Crop, the only two foreign horses to win the Cup and both Irish horses. I think if he has settled in well and gets away okay he should be in the finish, he is too good a horse not to show up somewhere.
Delta Blues is a Japanese horse who ran third in the Caulfield Cup. His 3200m form is excellent and I think he should run very well.
Efficient is a three-year-old and will be having only his seventh race start on Tuesday. He won the Derby on Saturday like a potential champion and even though the last of his age to win the Melbourne Cup was in 1941 I think he has an outstanding chance.
Art Success is my longshot. He won the Brisbane Cup this year and has been going fairly well. I don't think he can win the race but almost every year a longshot runs a place and he could be the one this year.

* I don't actually know who will win, I'm neither a psychic or any kind of visionary, and if I did I wouldn't tell the whole world or need to have a job!

2 comments:

Ray said...

Delta Blues won paying $18, I hope you were on.

Andrew said...

Nah, I took your long shot and went with Art Success. Felt even more hopeful when they came out in the black'n'white! Never really looked in the race - but it was fun to back a smokey!