Friday, November 17, 2006

How to get your groove back

As of today I am on enforced leave. Enforced by my doctor who concluded much of what I suspected a while back, that I am exhausted and run down and need a break.
So he gave me one. I've never taken sick leave before but as of now I'm on two weeks leave which overlaps with my annual leave that is supposed to start in about 10 days.
I'm not sure where I stand with that and will find out on Monday but I am assuming that means I have three weeks to recover, relax and recharge.
I've got to say it is a big relief. I feel physically exhausted and mentally/emotionally I'm just about at the end of the rope. There has been too much stress, both from external forces (i.e. work and other issues) and from inner forces (like health issues and anxiety).
So I've been told to stop.
Well being is by far the most important thing and hopefully now I can start to unwind a bit, sleep properly and heal.
I've acted quickly and planned a trip away for a week starting in a few days time after some things are taken care of (blood tests and signing off on the sick leave at work).
I don't think I have gone so long (it's been about seven months) without getting out of Sydney for a while and it's important that I get away from the rat-race. It really does get to me some times.
I usually feel bad about being away from work, even when I am unwell, so I have to let go of that. Priorities have to be looked at and plans put in place to ensure this doesn't happen again.

6 comments:

Craig Schwarze said...

Will be praying for you. If you need anything, drop me a line...

russ said...

Hi Ray, sorry to hear you're not feeling so hot, it's good that you let people know what's going on though. Hope your time off helps you recover, will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Brant W. Fowler said...

Absolutely, man, you must take care of yourself first. Get the relax and rest you need!

Lara said...

Ray, I think it's great that you are taking the opportunity to have a break and try to recover a bit. We live in such a busy world, with so much pressure to just keep going and ignore the consequences. I hope your holiday does you a world of good and that you come back feeling refreshed and recharged!

Ray said...

Thanks to you all. It's day one and I still feel heaps tired but I think the mind is starting to calm down a bit.
Hey Russ, how's the USA, good to hear from you.

Ruth said...

Ray - I hope you have a really restful break. Praying for you.