Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Diva

"Go and find the smallest child on this course and there will be the only example of a person who will live long enough to see that again. '' - Lee Freedman

I've been fortunate to see some great racehorses over the last 10 years or so but count myself even more fortunate to have seen Makybe Diva.
The above quote was from the trainer, Lee Freedman, who said those words when interviewed shortly after the mare won her third consecutive Melbourne Cup.
He was spot on. But he could have gone further because that will never, ever, happen again.
The Diva: A Champion becomes a Legend is the DVD telling her story and having just finished watching it I can say she was truly something special.
Non-racing people wouldn't really get it, but for me seeing a horse like her do what she did on the racetrack is breathtaking. Every time I hear the race call of the 2005 Melbourne Cup I almost choke up, it's where the DVD's title comes from - `and a champion become a legend'.
The DVD is actually quite good, although it doesn't have the interview with Freedman where he makes the remark I have quoted or the announcement of her retirement in the acceptance speech. These are small things but I think they would have added to the story.
Tuesday (that's Melbourne Cup day) won't be quite the same without the Diva.

No comments: