Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada

If you want to see an actor at their absolute best you could do worse than check out Meryl Streep's performance in The Devil Wears Prada.
While it didn't particularly appeal to me initially, I saw the film last night and was pleasantly surprised.
Streep plays Miranda Priestly, the editor of Runway magazine, and it quickly becomes apparent that she is seen by her staff as something of a monster. Anne Hathaway is the aspiring journalist, Andrea, who seeks a job at Runway out of desperation and who clearly doesn't fit in.
Fashion trends begin and end with Priestly and she can destroy a fashion line by simply pursiing her lips. She refers to both her assistants as `Emily' and at times refers to Andrea as `my new Emily'. She truly is an awful person.
I was quite taken with the performance of Emily Blunt as the `original' Emily, who has a very disarming, for me, English accent.
With her job on the line Andrea makes a last ditch effort to fit in and gets an image overhaul, referred to by another character as `selling her soul'. But is this what she really wants? Her relationships with her boyfriend (played by Adrian Greiner from Entourage) and her closest friends change quickly as she becomes driven and controlled by her job.
A lot of the advertising seems to think this film is a chick flick and while on one level I suppose it is, because how many of us are that into fashion, but it certainly isn't a romantic comedy. It is a comedy though and there were some very funny moments.
As I said, Streep is absolutely sensational. She drives the film and makes it entirely watchable. She also displays a small soft spot in her character which isn't easy to do when you are playing such a character.
I didn't expect to enjoy this. I'm giving a 7.5 out of 10. It wasn't a great film compared to some others, largely dramas, this year but I enjoyed it immensely.

2 comments:

Chelsea Taylor said...

Nice review there Ray! I like your work haha
I saw it last night, and enjoyed it too - good light hearted film.
Totally agree that meryl streep's performance drove the film...
You're right, its not a romantic comedy...although the romantic in me definately liked the character and story of Nate hehe
I think im like you in that comparing a film like that to some of the quality dramas is almost impossible, cos they all have different purposes... and this was certainly an entertaining film!

Chelsea Taylor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.