Friday, October 27, 2006

Unsettled

Yesterday was like any other day then I received a text message from my sister saying to ring when I was home.
With no sense of urgency I stopped in at the shopping centre for a frivolous purchase then headed home. Some 60 minutes after getting the SMS I called home to be told my mum was in hospital after having a heart scare.
See about six years ago, around this time of year, she had a major heart operation which almost wasn't successful. It took a long while for her to recover and get back to normal. She has a massive scar, I am told, where most people have a barely noticeable one by the same stage.
After calling home I called the hospital (in Tamworth) and spoke to her. She was in the ICU department until late yesterday when she went into a ward after being cleared of anything major. As it stands she will be in the ward through the weekend but there is a chance of an early release. I'm told it is only precautionary and she was more concerned about what horses I was going to tip her for her punter's club bets this weekend.
So fortunately it all looks good but it is very unsettling. I don't want to make this about me but it's not good being 500km from your family when something like this happens, even if it isn't considered serious.
It's been a little hard to not think about it and even at the movies last night I was a shade distracted. I guess I'll be happier once she gets released from the hospital.

2 comments:

Chelsea Taylor said...

gosh, that sort of thing is always very unsettling! And I can very much relate to the distance to family too, definately not easy! I obvisouly dont know you or your family, but know that I will be praying for you all!

Ray said...

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I have posted a short update since.