Friday, December 01, 2006

The Prestige

After a small hiatus (for no real reason) from the movies I saw the much hyped The Prestige today. That might well have been the problem, the hype that is.
With a stellar cast including Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Scarlett Johannson and the always wonderful Michael Caine how can you go wrong?
I can't put my finger on it really, everything added up to a winner but perhaps I wasn't counting right. Jackman and Bale play rival magicians with Jackman's character fuelled by an obsession with finding out Bale's secrets.
Secrets, that's what it's all about.
Perhaps there were so many twists and turns that the film-maker, Christopher Nolan, told you exactly what the big secret was.
It was slow in parts which gave me more time to work out what was going on. And that's the problem, I worked out what was going on.
Look, I'm not going to bag the film. It was a well made movie, interesting although a shade too slow for my liking, and the acting was excllent, particularly from Caine who also narrates the film. Perhaps expectations got the better of me. A disappointing 7 out of 10 but I wouldn't talk anyone out of seeing it.
Footnote: This mini-review of the Prestige is my 200th post - woo-hoo!

2 comments:

Chelsea Taylor said...

yay for the 200th post hehe!


Interesting. I havent yet seen this film but was unsure whether to. Its bad how much hype can impact our viewing of a film hey. I always try to not to read reviews of films before i see them (unless its something i havent heard about and thats the only way to hear about it..hmm).

I saw The Departed the other night, and I personally think it was a similar experience to your viewing of the prestige - well made film, great cast, etc - something just didnt add up.
(I acutally think it may just be me getting frustrated at the amount of swearing..)
Have you seen that? Thoughts if you have?

Ray said...

Yeah I have seen it, I'm sure I posted a review a while back. Good, entertaining yeah lots of swearing. I enjoyed it, though