Sunday, December 03, 2006

It's A Wonderful Life

``Look, Daddy. Teacher says every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings.''

It's one of the world's most loved films and until last night I hadn't seen it. What an oversight!
I am of course talking about the 1946 classic It's A Wonderful Life , the story of George Bailey, an ordinary man who didn't realise the extraordinary effect he had on people. Seemingly everything he wanted to do in life was thwarted by one thing or another and as a result he didn't get to live out his dreams. At the end of his rope he decides he is worth more dead than alive and seeks to resolve his problems in that way.
Fortunately there are a lot of people who care for George and a barrage of prayers leads to God sending an angel to earth to make him see the mistake he is about to make.
Despite its age (now 60 years), It's A Wonderful Life stands the test of time because, simply, it is a timeless story. When George finally realised what he was about to do he became a changed man and when the townspeople began filing into his home to help out a friend in trouble, well, it was too much for me. I think I disguised it pretty well from the friends I was watching it with but it brought me to tears.
I still get a bit choked up thinking about it. Apparently you can buy it for five bucks at the moment and I'd say that' s a pretty amazing bargain and one I will be taking advantage of.
I can see why people love this film and why they make it an annual tradition to watch at Christmas time. I think I will join them.
If you haven't seen it, rush out, watch it now. You won't regret it. For me, it made me think that, even though most of the time I don't realise it, I have a wonderful life. Sure, there are problems and troubles, but there are many blessings.
Some more memorable quotes:
`Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?'
`Remember, George: no man is a failure who has friends.'

3 comments:

Brant W. Fowler said...

Hey Ray! I'm so glad you enjoyed the movie! It's my favorite movie of all time, probably because I can really relate to George in many ways. So the outcome really gives me hope and inspiration. It truly is a timeless story that connects on many levels, and Jimmy Stewart is the perfect actor for the part. His performance is stand offish and engaging at the same time. I'm not a huge fan of older movies, but this one is my absolute favorite. Thanks for trying it out!

Chelsea Taylor said...

oo sounds like a major oversight on my part not seeing it yet either!
Will definately have to look into that one! thanks!

Ray said...

Let me know what you think Chelsea but you'll need the tissue box!