Thursday, December 28, 2006

Album of the year

Easily the surprise CD release of the year for me, The Fray's How To Save A Life earns the title of 2006's best.
A faultless set of 12 songs with interesting narratives and catchy hooks, How To Save A Life is soft rock with heart.
Everyone would have heard the single Over My Head (Cable Car) with it's infectious sound and chorus.
For me it's the title track that is the big winner.
Other highlights on the album are the deceptive Trust Me with its unassuming start which builds to a big finish; the haunting sounds of Hundred and Vienna; and the soulful Heaven Forbid and Fall Away.
I was fortunate enough to see them in concert in September and they were pretty good live. If you haven't heard the album yet it's worth checking out, you won't be disappointed.
It was going to be a poor year for good music but the last few months saw some really awesome music including CD's from Chris Tomlin, Goo Goo Dolls, Jewel and Snow Patrol.
Honourable mentions: John Mayer's Continuum. A fine collection of bluesy pop which heads in a slightly different direction to his previous release. In any other year he'd have the title.
Jeremy Camp's Beyond Measure: Another excellent Christian pop-rock album from one of the genre's best. The title track is awesome as is When You Are Near, co-written by Lifehouse's Jason Wade.

1 comment:

Chelsea Taylor said...

Guess what, I finally saw Its A Wonderful Life!
It is definately an old film, and there are some things i would have differently, but when watching films like that i think we have to keep in mind how different life is now to then....
I went back and read your post u wrote on it and I have to agree with what you said "made me think that, even though most of the time I don't realise it, I have a wonderful life." Thats exactly right!
I think many people end up feeling like George, or at least need the reminder he gets! Its hard to remember we make a difference someitmes or even as you said that our lives are actually so blessed, but its true and this film does a lovely job of pointing that out!
Glad i finally got to see it.

Meanwhile, I also finally got snow patrol's Eyes Open and I have to say I love it! haha
I think id put that in my top cds of the year...