Monday, March 10, 2008

Neighbours

I'm sure it is a big city thing, you know very little about the people who live nearby or in the same complex.
People seem to like to keep to themselves, admittedly I like to do that from time to time, but surely it is counter productive.
This came to light today. I arrived home around lunch time from a trip into the city for acupuncture and shopping to be greeted by four fire trucks, an ambulance and a police car and their occupants.
The reason: there was a fire in one of the apartments. Immediately I was concerned it could have been mine but was told otherwise by one of the firemen at the front of our driveway on the way in. I'm a little ashamed to say I still know nothing about the people whose lives have been severely disrupted by fire in their unit. I don't know their names, I wouldn't know anything about them.
Out of the many units in my complex I know the occupants of two of them and I have been here four years. How bad is that? I think I need to get to know a little bit about the people around me.

No comments: