Sunday, March 23, 2008

A day at the races

Easter Saturday in Sydney, for me, means Derby Day at Randwick but after the horse flu last year things were put back.
So yesterday wasn't Derby Day, that's not for another month, but it was still a fine way to celebrate turning 33. Admittedly I didn't have much of a celebration - I hung out with people I know largely from and through work - but it was still a very good day out.
I took these pictures with my new camera and while I am far from a photographic expert I reckon they are all right. The top one is a mounting yard scene, where the horses parade prior to heading out to race.
The second is obviously an action shot, 100m to go in the first race at Randwick yesterday.
The winner, Rio Osa, is the horse in the cerise about to hit the lead. Sadly, the horse I backed, Acey Ducey, is the horse running third at this stage and he was only beaten a half head at the finish.
An interesting thing happened, I was wandering around the betting ring and I ran into a racehorse trainer who I have had a lot to do with over the last five or six years and a guy I get on well with.
He told me because he didn't have any horses racing he thought he'd come out and celebrate his birthday. Now I've known the guy for a while and didn't know we share a birthday. I reckon it's cool because he's one of the best people I know in the racing industry.
I didn't do any major partying last night but enjoyed watching the Knights beat Manly 13-12.

No comments: