Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Be Kind Rewind

Here's a movie that sounded good, had promise then fell flat on its face.
Be Kind Rewind is the latest Jack Black silly comedy but it lacks the class of previous efforts.
Jerry (Black) is magnetised while trying to sabotage the local power station and as a result he erases all the tapes at the struggling video store, Be Kind Rewind.
When a customer inquires about hiring Ghostbusters and Jerry and Mike (Mos Def) discover the tapes are erased they decide to remake the film themselves.
Their `Sweded' films become a neighbourhood smash and everyone wants remakes of their favourite films.
OK, so this is actually a fantastic idea for a movie and the scenes where Jerry and Mike `Swede' films like Robocop, Driving Miss Daisy, Rush Hour 2, and so on are very good.
Soon word gets out that this is happening and Hollywood sends in its goons to stamp out their piracy. Sigourney Weaver is criminally wasted in this role. When I saw her approaching I thought, wow she's going to ask for a remake of Alien or something like that, but alas that would be actually funny.
From there it degenerates into an uninteresting and well trodden `save the building' film and some kind of tribute to Fats Waller.
Be Kind Rewind had its moments, and when it did they were quite funny. But come on, this was a fantastic idea and it has gone begging. Or maybe Jack Black isn't as funny to me as he used to be. One things I will say is, and Rod will appreciate this, is that a love of movies brings the community together and I think that is a great thing.
A 6 out of 10 for the funny bits.

3 comments:

Bobby said...

I can't STAND Jack Black! I will not see a movie if he is in it. So, that limits me on this one. So, I am watching Brothers and Sisters as well. Good stuff!

Ray said...

I think I a cooling on him. Loved him in High Fidelity. Reality didn't meet expectation on this one.

Zombie said...

I liked it, but mostly for technical reasons. Michel Gondry films like no one I have ever seen.