Sunday, March 02, 2008

Movie day

With predictions of rain (that didn't eventuate) I hired a couple of movies to watch today and had a damn good time.
First up is Disturbia, the very smart thriller starring Shia LeBeouf (left) as a teen who, under house arrest, takes to spying on the neighbourhood and believes a serial killer lives among them.
I missed this at the movies and it was a bad miss because this is outstanding. Admittedly it does take a little while to warm up but it is not only enjoyable it has some great suspense. If you haven't seen it do yourself a favour.
My second film was one out of left-field. A movie that I hadn't heard of but that read well as I was browsing the aisles.
Called Big Eden it was definitely a surprise. There is no one of any huge note in the cast but it focuses on Henry Hart (Arye Gross), a New York artist who goes home to Big Eden (his home town) to look after his grandfather after he has a stroke.
The town is a warm, caring community and I think this puts Henry off kilter a bit. As he stays in the town he rekindles friendships and and old crush and comes to be relied upon by the locals.
All the while he's not comfortable in his skin. He can't let people in and there's a touching scene where his grandfather says `There are so many people here who want to pour love over you if only you would let them'.
Apparently this came out in 2000. It was an excellent film, surprising and warm.
A couple of other quotes struck me (though the context may help more):
- There's so few nice surprises in life. Seems to me that it'd be kind of a shame to squander one of them, don't ya think?
- Listen, you know what they say when you get lost in the woods? If you stay put, stay in one place and don't wander, they'll find you. And I was just hoping you'd let yourself be found this time. I was hoping you'd let us find you. But you keep wandering and we can't.
When you watch a couple of movies that engross or enlighten you it is time well spent. That's what I reckon anway.

No comments: