Friday, September 01, 2006

I have a new job!

I don't think I am jumping the gun on releasing this news but - I have a new job!
And I'll be moving about five metres from where I currently work.
If you're confused, I'm not leaving NewsLtd rather taking up a different role within the company at another paper owned by News. It's called Sportsman and is entirely devoted to horse racing.
Now I've been trying in one way or another to move over to that paper for a while because I believe that is where my long term future lies. I may be wrong.
My reasons for the move are simple (aside from I really wanted to).
It was becoming clear that my role, in its present form, at the Telegraph was unsustainable, in that when I would be in the fill-in role for someone who was away I was working ridiculous hours and effectivly two jobs - and it was making me sick.
The pressure when this was happening was far too much and high stress is really bad for me in my situation.
It should generally free up weekends (in that it's a Monday-Friday job) for me to go to the track, or attend church events that I otherwise haven't been able to. (On the negative side I do lose my Mondays off but it's a small price).
I can write about what I want rather than what I have to and the paper is a racing paper less concerned with `the issues'.
As far as I know I start on Monday week but that could change, depending on when someone to fill my role is secured. But whatever happens I'm looking forward to it, for if nothing else the enjoyment should return to work and it should be easier from a health perspective.
I haven't told many people about this in the last week or two so if I haven't told you don't take offence. In one way I just wanted to keep it to myself and wait for some confirmation because it sounded too good to be true and I didn't want to get disappointed.

8 comments:

Craig Schwarze said...

Congrats bro - very happy for you!

Brant W. Fowler said...

Great news, Ray, good to hear. Interesting that you'll be writing about horse racing while I live in the horse raising capital, Kentucky. :)

Brant W. Fowler said...

Oops, racing, not raising. Well... that too I guess. :)

Ray said...

The Kentucky Derby always fascinated me. Is it as big there as it seems?
I'm looking forward to the new job.

Andrew said...

glad it came throught for you Diamond. So tell me, if you're no longer focusing on "the issues", does that mean more of your top tips and faultless form guide work? Can we expect to reclaim your rightful place as NSW's top tipster?

Ray said...

That's what I'm hoping for Jono, but as you know it will just make things a little easier in general.

Brant W. Fowler said...

I've actually never been to it, but I hear it's a big spectacle, yeah. Celebrities come to it and everything (the KY Derby). Horse Racing isn't really my thing, but my family gets into it.

Alison said...

Congratulations Ray, that's fantastic news!