Sunday, September 03, 2006

Clerks 2

As we all know, sequels can be a bit more miss than hit.
So it was with some reservations, based on rather universal disdain among reviewers, that I saw the sequel to the cult hit of 10 years ago, Clerks.
A decade ago writer and director Kevin Smith introduced Dante and Randal as two, rather foul mouthed, emplyees of the Quick Stop convenience store where they spent their time discussing trivial things and annoying the customers.
The original, despite its explicit language, had an undeniable charm drawn from the rapport of the two central characters.
Smith followed Clerks, which was shot in black and white (very cool) and on a very tight budget, with Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back. All these films were connected by characters or events in some way and also linked by the ultimate slackers Jay And Silent Bob.
Clerks 2 kicks off with the Quick Stop burning down and forcing Dante and Randal to find new employment. They do so at the local Mooby's restaurant. It seems little has changed except that Dante is getting married and leaving town and they have a seemingly Christian co-worker Elias to tormet. I'm sad to say the corrupt him shamelessly.
Randal still steals the movie, as he did in the original, with his wry commentary on Lord Of The Rings and Transformers, both of which Elias is obsessed with. I must say his 60-second run down of the LOTR trilogy was both hilarious and, in many ways, disturbingly accurate. (Sorry if you're a huge rings fan). I just loved his `don't point your preciouses at me' remark.
A couple of cameos from Smith film stalwarts Ben Affleck and Jason Lee (better known now as Earl in the sitcom) were nods to the previous films and particularly in Lee's case very funny.
I went in with low expectations and, aside from one very disturbing scene, was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed myself and the end was actually quite touching and showed a side to Randal I don't think anyone expected.
It's not a patch on the original but I think it's as good as a sequel made 10 years later can be. Sorry David but I'm giving it 7.5 out of 10. I had a good time, and the soundtrack rocked, particularly Smashing Pumpkins' 1979 and Soul Asylum's Misery.

No comments: