Sunday, May 24, 2009

Things that matter, things that don't

This week promises to be a strange one, possibly an emotional one, but hopefully a good one.
In a couple of days I have to go out of town for a funeral and I can't say I am looking forward to it (you never look forward to these things but I think you know what I mean).
It's going to be one of those occasions where a lot of family will gather and most of whom I haven't seen in years for various reasons. It has been a bit of a bad run with losing people lately and that is weighing on the mind a little.
Someone said to me the other day that when this happens it is a `reality check' and that is true. But it is a pretty dramatic way to shake you up and make you remember how valuable life is.
I honestly don't know how I feel about the coming trip. It isn't like I'm going to a town I've never been to before (though it has been a while) and I reckon if I can handle going to Melbourne where I don't know anybody I can handle this. Maybe I am just over thinking things.
There is a song I have been listening to called Things That Matter, by Rascal Flatts, and it has really struck a chord with me in the light of what has been happening.
We spend so much time and energy worrying about trivial things like work politics, traffic, delays and the like when what really matters is people and relationships. I'm more guilty than most of worrying about things that are out of my control and I know that I should expend more energy living rather than being afraid of life.

1 comment:

Zombie said...

Good luck at the funeral, I know enough of those things to know how difficult they can be.