Tuesday, May 19, 2009

One Tree Hill's finale that isn't

As a huge fan of One Tree Hill
(heck I named my blog after it) I have to say I very much wish the season 6 finale was the series finale.
It was easily the best episode of the season and brought the whole series together brilliantly. So why do we need a season 7?
We already know that Chad Michael Murray and Hilarie Burton aren't returning and, seriously, how can the show be called One Tree Hill without them, particularly Murray (far left).
His character Lucas is the centre of show, it's about him and from his point of view, largely.
One Tree Hill won't be the same, and as brilliant as creator Mark Schwahn is I can't imagine it being nearly as good, without him - even though Lucas can be a bit annoying at times.
So while my opinion means little in the scheme of things I'd be tempted to ignore what happens in season 7. Any continuation shouldn't be called One Tree Hill, they should spin it off into a new show. If there's any chance season 7 can be avoided it should be done. I don't want to see One Tree Hill jump the shark as many shows do.
I'm a huge fan of TV shows ending when they should and ending well. Friends is a brilliant case in point. You left the finale satisfied and not needing to know anything more (despite this the under rated spinoff Joey was actually quite good).
That's exactly how I felt at the end of One Tree Hill's season final.
I don't need to know any more about Lucas, Peyton, Brooke, Nathan, Haley, Jamie, Mouth, Chase, Mia, Deb, Dan and Karen.
I'd be more than happy to say farewell to the show now knowing where all the characters stand and knowing it was six seasons of high class drama, but with a heart and soul.
By the way, I think it is kinda fitting that this is my 700th post.

No comments: