Friday, May 01, 2009

Farewell Sunline

Sunline , the best racehorse I've seen, died today.
She was one of the best gallopers to race in Australia and was a champion for the best part of five years.
I saw her race many times and when I watch the replays of some of them I still get chills.
I have photos of her hanging on my wall and there are only four racehorses with that privilege.
Of her 32 wins the best was probably the 2000 Cox Plate, if you know anything about horse racing then you know that you just don't win the Cox Plate by seven lengths.
It was a smashing and was awesome to watch.
She was 14 and had four foals, none of whom will be half as good but at least she lives on.
Like Harry Telford, trainer of Phar Lap, said in the film - `(s)he wasn't just a horse, (s)he was the best'. At least I think so.

No comments: