Sunday, February 01, 2009

I love Melbourne

Despite looking like a stunned mullet in this picture, I had an awesome time in Melbourne this weekend.
The trip was the one I mentioned a week or so back about being the challenge I set myself, to do something out of the comfort zone.
So it was a trip to Melbourne, where I knew nobody and very little about getting around even though I had been there once before, about nine years ago. My situation then was much different to now, though.
I flew down on Friday lunch time and arrived in Melbourne to temperatures of about 45 degrees (Celsius), the city having been in the middle of a heatwave. It was hot, no doubt, but fortunately it was a dry heat with very little humidity and that is a lot easier to handle.
I arrived at my hotel in Carlton and changed my shirt, then headed off into the city to explore.
I remember just as I was walking there how awesome it felt to be doing it. I made it to the city in about 10 minutes and took a tram ride around the city until I arrived at Federation Square.
The first thing I wanted to do was check out the Australian Racing Museum and it was good, as far as museums go. I then walked along the river to Rod Laver Arena where the Australian Open tennis was being played and caught another tram back to the city.
I met a guy on the tram who was from, well I'm not sure where exactly, Canada or the US I think and he was telling me how he was going to St Kilda. After a bit more walking around I decided to head that way myself and caught another tram down there.
I walked along St Kilda beach, which was packed as you'd expect with the weather, and had dinner there as well.
After that I caught another tram back but caught the wrong one and almost ended up getting lost until I realised I needed to get off. I walked a few blocks back towards the city and eventually got onto the right tram. By this time it was much more comfortable and I found people to be generally pretty nice. There was one idiot who tried to pick a fight with a tram driver and another guy on a bike that almost collided with a tram I was on.
I walked back towards my hotel, it was 9pm by now, and missed the street I needed to turn down and got a bit lost but I didn't really mind because I was enjoying the walk despite being a bit tired.
I hung out in my room for a while and went to bed a bit late, then got up Saturday morning to prepare for my trip to the races (of course). More on that shortly.

No comments: