Monday, February 23, 2009

Attitude adjustment

It occurred to me today that I probably haven't been that pleasant to be around, especially at work, for the last little while.
I shouldn't arrive at the office an immediately feel the frustration and impatience hit me before I sit down. There's a bit of a back story that I won't go into but if you've been reading between the lines over the last week you'd have an idea.
I don't think there is anything I enjoy more than my job. That's pretty sad, really, but true. How bad can it be when you get paid to talk about, watch and interact with what basically is your hobby unless you turn into the Comic Book Guy?
So why the bad attitude? In one respect it is borne out of the frustration that one or two of my coworkers are stifling our progress when what I want to do is make what we produce the best it can possibly be. Sure, everyone does that at work right? Not mine.
We have a culture of fearing changes of any kind and, as someone who wants to continue to develop not only the quality of what I write about but the overall quality, it seems whenever change from the routine is suggested it is pretty quickly dismissed because `that's not what we do every week'.
Today, anyway, I kind of packed everything in and refused (privately) to make any effort above minimum required, which I have to say is pretty darn easy. Yep, I went against everything I just wrote about with regards to quality and offered no suggestion on original material.
I know I need to change my attitude towards all this. I don't like being closed off and unresponsive unless it is some passive-aggressive thing I have going (I strangely relish those times now and then). Exacerbating the problem has been a few battles with personal issues and fears and when I get caught up in that world I can be hard to communicate with.
Any wonder I'm single. That's another subject. I will try harder tomorrow to adjust my outlook.

No comments: