Thursday, January 01, 2009

Yes Man

What a way to start the year!
I have to declare, for those who don't already know, that I am a huge Jim Carrey fan so I was always going to like Yes Man .
You've probably seen the trailer and know that this is about Carl, a man who chooses to live his life by making excuses and avoiding things - he's a no-man.
He's challenged by a friend to start saying `yes' and, really, he takes it to the extreme level (you'd expect that from Carrey though) to the point where he says yes to anything.
In essence I guess this is another version of Liar Liar but I think there is a point to it, at least I found one.
The lesson is to live life. Say yes once in a while and that is the lesson that Carl learns, eventually. We don't need to say yes to everything, because the consequences of that are plain to see on the screen. But by saying no too much we are cutting ourselves out of life. I should know.
So I see this as somewhat prophetic, a reminder that I need to start saying yes more often.
Look you really get what you see otherwise with Yes Man. There are a few queasy bits but basically it's just a sit back and laugh film and what's the harm in that.
Don't pay any attention to the reviews. Sometimes reviewers, and I know a few of them, expect every film to be Shakespearean to have any substance. Few take a film for what it is. This is a comedy, it is out there, surreal and largely implausible. But that doesn't make it a bad movie.
If you like Jim Carrey in films like Liar Liar, Dumb And Dumber, Ace Ventura etc then this is a worthy addition. If you don't then don't see this film. I had a great laugh, an excellent start to 2009 (with the new Harry Potter trailer thrown in). An 8 out of 10.

No comments: