Friday, January 09, 2009

Comic book guy stereotype

I was wandering down Pitt Street this afternoon and I decided to head into the Comic book store there for a browse.
I had been in there before and I was, at the time, slightly motivated to see if the latest Buffy collection was out. As I made my way around the store I started to notice the people behind the counter.
Now I must offer apologies to Brant here because I know he's right into the comics world but I was very amused that the staff was largely living up to the comic book nerd stereotype.
Without being able to recall exact conversation there was a lot of banter about the significance of certain characters, issues of comics and well you get what I mean. One of the staff would pass as `normal' in that you wouldn't have picked him for a fan. One particular member might as well have had stereotype printed on his shirt.
I'm not having a go at them, I was just amused that these people (and more particularly this situation) exist. In certain situations, like with movies or racing, I could well come across in the same manner if I worked say in a music store (I can picture myself a John Cusack-like character from High Fidelity - sweet).
Anyway, I picked up Buffy season 8 volume 3: Wolves At The Gate. The whole comic continuation of the (awesome) TV series is starting to wear thin but I will continue for now as when you are a fan of something it is hard to let go.

1 comment:

Brant W. Fowler said...

No apologies necessary, my friend. lol. I've met many a stereotypical Comic Book Guy over the past year, and in local comic shops. Though I assure you not all comic fans are like that. While I do enjoy a good conversation about comics, well, it's just not taken to that level.

And you're right, you'll find the same kind of crowds in music stores, in online gaming circles, and many other groups as well. There are just some that take their love for a medium to the extreme, God bless 'em. :)