Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Role Models

Sometimes a comedy that relies heavily on crudeness works and sometimes I think they cross a line.
Role Models is a film that would have been better served, in my opinion, by toning down the crudity just a bit. That said, I still had a laugh but I couldn't help but think it should have been better.
Paul Rudd, who I do have a bit of time for, is Danny and Sean William Scott is Wheeler, and they are two very different men who work together promoting an energy drink.
Danny is feeling particularly like life is stamping its feet on top of him while Wheeler is basically Stifler from the American Pie films grown up a little.
Danny's attitude causes them to be charged with a number of minor offences and they are forced onto community service after Danny's girlfriend Beth (Elizabeth Banks), a lawyer, saves them from jail (she also broke up with Danny causing his bender).
They are forced to work with children in need of mentoring. As the poster suggests, pretty bad idea. One of the kids though didn't need any encouragement to be a pest.
I was expecting a bit more but there are the usual Stifler-style scenarios from Wheeler while Danny gets a kid whose parents need a lesson in accepting their son.
Look, it's a comedy, it's fun most of the time and I had a laugh. I wanted a few more laughs but they sold them out for the lowbrow angle. One for the guys, though strangely there were more women in the audience. Go figure. A 6.5 out of 10.

No comments: